CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

We are lacking financially.


So this is what happens when you are not very "well off".
My van has something wrong with the tranny. I have had it read, it gives a pretty generic feed back. I am still driving it around because it will get going up to about 45 mph. One day I was on my way CLEAR across town to get my nails done. I was just a couple of blocks away from my destination and my car started over heating. I got to a stop light and when I slowed down to stop, it died and wouldnt start back up. I checked the radiator over flow and it was full so I figured the radiator must be full. I waited about 20 min. and tried starting it back up again but it wouldnt start so I called my friend who does my nails and she offered to come get me and still do my nails. While I waited for her, I got a number for a local tow company and had them tow it to the house. Trent and I thought the over heating could be the thermostat so I bought one and Trent tried to change it out. He was unscrewing the screws and one broke off so he thought (remember he is a carpenter, NOT a mechanic) that he could drill thru the broken off screw and put another screw in like he would if it had broke off in a piece of wood. The drill ended up going in sideways and drilled a hole in the manifold. Long story short, I decided that it was either go for it and try to fix it myself, or let it sit 'til we had the money to take it in and fix it (that would be never and the car would sit and rot in the mean time). So I called around for the part we needed ($100 used ) and started breaking down the engine till I could get the lower manifold out. It did take several days because I labeled EVER thing that I disconnected and took pictures a long the way. With Trents muscals we were able to get it done and it started right up on the first try!!! I was SOOOO excited! Unfortunately the tranny is still not fixed but as soon as we have the extra cash to do it, I will have a transmission place tell me whats wrong and try to fix it myself.
So the moral of this story is:
Being poor really sucks!!! but it gives you an opportunity to learn new things that you would never learn other wise.
The End

1 comments:

Shanell said...

Oh wow....you are brave!! That is funny that you took pictures, that is a good idea. Man I am thankful for my dad!!! That is just something we don't have to worry about, and Shane is getting prett good at it too.
But that is how you learn, by just digging in.